Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Abstraction

I looked for an example of abstraction in Cosmopolitan magazine because I read it all the time. There is a VO5 ad about their Extreme Style line of hair products. There is also a TV commercial about this line of products. In the print ad, on one side, there is a man and woman standing in an elevator with boring hair. On the right side of the ad, both the man and woman have their hair styled in crazy ways. In the TV commercial, both people have boring hair, and after using the VO5 products, their hair is styled and is no longer boring. In these two ads, there is a promise of stylish hair. If you use their Extreme Style line of products, you will have the hair you always wanted. When I look at the ad, I think about my hair and how I wish my hair could look like the people’s in the ad.

No comments: